Sunday, March 21, 2010

DC Gaels Open Field Day



Sunday March 21st was an awesome day. I attended the DC Gaels open field day. The DC Gaels is part of an organization which promotes traditional Gaelic sports. They are part of a national league of mens and womens football and mens hurling and womens camogie. I learned hurling/camogie and as you see am pictured with a hurl, which is used to shoot or push the ball or sliotar. I arrived in full makeup and hair (of course) which I promptly placed in a bun on top of my head. We started with warm up exercises: running a lap around the field and calisthenics. Then we divided into coed groups, one for football and one for hurling. They were really great about taking the time to teach everyone the basics of the sport and make us all newcomers feel at ease. It was definitely one of my more fun and social events. It was also an event that reminded me of how amazing it is to be Miss District of Columbia and all the opportunities I've had to learn more of what DC has to offer.